Saturday, May 01, 2010

He's Here!


My first grandson Tigger arrived yesterday morning. Pygmy Child was a warrior with a very long, difficult labor and I am so proud of her for not quitting. She got the home birth she wanted and a healthy baby boy. He weighs 7lbs, 7oz and is 19 1/2 inches long. He also had a 14 inch head! Now for the non midwifey types, that is a BIG head for a 7lb baby. It is more like a nine pound baby head. And Pygmy Child, in spite of her short stature (4ft7in) has her mama's more than adequate pelvis.
I cried some last night, feeling so left out with not being there, but got over my self pity pretty quickly. June will be here soon enough, with plenty of days to love on my Tigger and daughter.
I just want to tell everyone how proud I am of her, for being so brave, so stubborn, for believing in her body and the birthing process. I have no doubt whatsoever if she had had a hospital birth she would have had a c sec. (Which, when used as they are supposed to, as a life saving measure, are a blessing) In turn, it makes me so grateful that I was able to pass on my beliefs in childbirth and the wholeness of women to my daughters.
Our family has changed as we add a new one to our fold. We feel so blessed. Welcome home Tigger, I know the angels celebrated your birth too.

8 Kids Who Want To Play:

Mongoose said...

Mazel tov!!!!

Amber said...

Congrats!! He's beautiful! I can't wait for more pictures.

Kristina P. said...

Oh, he's beautiful! Congrats, Jo!

K J and the kids said...

YAY ! How beautiful. Glad she and the baby are good.

Brandon Hunter Family said...

Congratulations, Jo! That is one handsome little man! It's always fun to see our families grow.
Cheryn (Conklin) Hunter

Jenny said...

Congratulations! I always love a good labor story.

Laura said...

Oh, Grandma Jo, I am so happy for you and your beautiful family! Every family needs a Tigger. :):) Lots of love to all of you. Enjoy, enjoy!

Love, Laura

elizasmom said...

So exciting! Congratulations all around!!