Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Questions AND Answers

Answers to those who asked questions.
First: From Eliza's mom

1. Do you prefer Indian, Native American, or something else entirely?
Either is fine with me. I really think the preference depends on the region of the country you live in and what generation you belong to. Some are partial to one or the other, but I use both interchangably.
2. I think it's fair to say that people who aren't part of your culture hold a variety of stereotypes about it. What are the stereotypes that bug you the most, that you want to set people straight about (here, have a soapbox to stand on!)?
The drunken, lazy Indian stereotype gets me every time. I despise that people think that way automatically and I find it hurtful and demeaning. The other thing I really hate is westerns. I wasn't allowed to watch them as a child and now I am older, I can see why. Geez, all the white people killing the BAD Indians. My mom thoughtfully saved me from having my heart filled with that garbage. John Wayne is a swear word at our house.

From:Josi
I'm sure this is on your blog somewhere but what tribe are you from?
Clever girl, actually it isn't on my blog anywhere! And I won't say now either. I have a fear of someone googling my tribe and finding my blog on the internet. Since no one in my family knows/reads my blog, I think I prefer to keep it that way. There just aren't alot of us, and not many of us live off Rez, so I like to keep it to myself. We need to keep some of the mystery in our relationship, don't ya think?
And what aspects from your Native American culture have you continued in your life away from the rez? I participate in as many pow wows, and religious ceremonies as I can. Even though I am LDS, I still believe/participate in my native religion too. I haven't had any issues blending the two together. I fill my mind with good movies and books (approved first by my mother) about my culture and history so I can have a solid knowledge base about my people too. I also am proud to say I eat fry bread whenever I can!

From KJ and the kids I have heard and I'm sure it doesn't carry on in all tribes. Gay people are treated equally and at one time were treated on a higher platform ? This is certainly true of the Lakota. No one cares if you are gay or not. Dress as you like, have sex with either gender as long as you are not related to them, set up housekeeping, whatever. The Lakota are such a genuinely accepting culture and I love how they just don't think a thing when Little Man is being his little self.

Are you tax exempt? Not for state taxes.

Could you kill someone and go to the reservation and take safe haven? Um, well, sort of. Because the tribe is under federal law and not state law, the feds would have to come get me. BUT, because I am Indian, the tribe has juridiction over me, so the feds could ask the tribe to pick me up and they would.

To be continued tomorrow...

5 Kids Who Want To Play:

Shoe said...

Here's an entirely selfish though legimately serious question...

If Attila and I were ever so lucky as to conceive again... is there any way it would be feasible (given your complicated life!) that I could pay to fly you up here to deliver our baby???

Serious. Entirely serious. The thought fills me with such joy... I can't even express it!

Jenny said...

I've wondered the same thing.

bon said...

You up for a little old skool punk? "John Wayne Was A Nazi" by MDC... it's a fun listen to boot!


"John Wayne was a Nazi
He liked to play SS
Kept a picture of Adolph,
Tucked in his cowboy vest
Sure he would string up your mother
Sure he would torture your pa
Sure he would march you up to the wall
Sure he would hang you by your last ball

[Chorus:]
He was a Nazi
But not anymore
He was a Nazi
Life evens the score

John Wayne slaughtered our Indian brothers
Burned their villages and raped their mothers
Now he has given them the white man's lord
Live by this, or die by the sword

[Chorus]

John Wayne killed a lot of gooks in the war
We don't give a @%^$ about John anymore
We all heard his tale of blood and gore
Just another pawn for the capitalist whore

[Chorus]

John Wayne wore an army uniform
Didn't like us reds and fags that didn't conform
Great white hero had so much nerve
Lived much longer than he deserved

[Chorus]

Late show Indian or Mexican dies
Klan propaganda legitimized
Hypocrite coward never fought a real fight
When I see John I'm ashamed to be white
Death bed Christian of this you avowed
If God's alive, you're roastin' now
Well John, we got no regrets
As long as you died a long and painful death"

bon said...

Ooops, that was long, shoulda just linked I guess.

K J and the kids said...

JUST WONDERING about the killing of someone. IF EVER I have a hire to kill....I will make sure to hire someone high up in the tribe :)
Thanks for answering my questions.