Friday, September 26, 2008

Food, Glorious Food!

*extra points to anyone who knows what/who I am quoting with my post title.

I am so excited! Tomorrow, I am going to pick up our very first food co-op order. A friend of mine here in Utah told me about and as soon as I got more information, I jumped all over it. For 23$ this month, I get:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. Pacific Cod fillets (wild caught)
2 lb. chicken thighs
4 5oz. pork chops (bone in)
3 Brigham City peaches
4 Utah pears
4 Utah golden delicious apples
2 Utah vine ripe tomatos
1 sleeved romaine lettuce
1 5lb. bag Russet potatos
2 green bell peppers
1 bunch radishes
1 lb. rice
1 loaf Stoneground Wheat Bread

I am no fool, so I ordered 2 standard shares, so for 46$, I get double that! Plus they had chicken nuggets for 3$ for 2 lbs. We don't usually eat those, too expensive.
But with the food prices they way they are, I need to find places to save some money. Look at that, I saved money AND I got stuff I can't usually afford, like fish, and chicken nuggets. YUM! Organic veggies and fruits. I am feeling all kinds of Molly Provident Living Mormon right now.
This co-op is all over Utah, so if you live here, go to the link, sign up for Oct before the 10th and save money and get more food!
The Community Food Co-op of Utah
Bald Man thanks you for your sympathy and kind words. Funeral is on Thursday, so they will be leaving on Weds to make the drive.

11 Kids Who Want To Play:

elizasmom said...

Wow, score!

We don't have food coops here, but our farm share has been a similarly awesome deal for us — we have gotten an amazing supply of organic, local fruits and veggies for pennies on the dollar compared to local stores.

Happy eating!

Kristina P. said...

Wow, I totally need to get in on this.

Jillene said...

We have co-op around here too. I think I really need to get involved!

rychelle said...

is it oliver?

do i win a prize??

i don't think we have any co-ops in vegas. at least, i've never heard of them before.

Holly said...

What a great deal. Glad you found something like this.

Jami said...

Ratatouille? Tracy M? (Oh those points are calling to me.) The Food Network?

Yum on everything but the radishes. I don't do hot. I'm wimpy that way.

Holly said...

Oh, the quote....it's from Oliver.

Jillybean said...

Sounds like a great deal.
I was going to guess Oliver, but someone beat me to it.

Debz said...

I do something similair. There is a program called angel food ministries (you can google it to see if it has a pickup in your town) where you can order once a month and get some unbelievable deals on foods. I can't imagine not doing the bulk of my shopping with them because it helps out so much financially.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oliver! The recipe sounds great!

Anonymous said...

So, I know this is a very late post, but--and Kristina, get on the co-op, it's even in SLC--I loved the co-op when we were there. We've moved to MN where I haven't found something like it (here the word means a physical location or something like REI), but it was fantastic while it lasted. If I could've done all my grocery/etc. shopping that way, I would have. Jump on it, Kristina! Seriously. I thought you knew stuff!