Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Answer Me This

So what would you do if you suddenly were given 20,000$? Not that this is happening to me. I guess I just wish it was happening to me. And I suppose I am thinking what I will do once I start making regular money, you know, with the job and what not. And we are still waiting for my dad's estate to clear probate. It will NOT be 20,000! More likely like 3000$. But still...
Rules. You can only spend 10,000$ on debt, otherwise you must spend the money as you wish.
Want to hear what I would do?
First. A different car. Not even a new car. Just a smaller car. We have undergrown our minivan. With just Bald Man, I and Little Man, the Minivan is serious overkill and we die everytime we have to put gas in it. I would choose a used Toyota or Honda sedan, (4 door). Not too many miles on it, but not new, because I just don't want to spend THAT much money on it.
Second. A laptop. Probably one of these. I have a Gateway desktop and it has been virtually problem free. But I am longing for one of these.
Third. A new camera. Specifically, a Canon Rebel. This is a serious wish for me. If I were forced to choose, I would probably get this before I got a laptop. Really, that is how much I want it. I have LOVED my Canon Powershot. I would have never thought of myself as much of a phototog before, but the quality of my pictures has improved so much with my Powershot, I have dreams that bumping up my camera quality would improve my pictures even more. And I think that dream isn't out of my reach.
Lastly, a trip to Hawaii. Bald Man and I were too poor to have a real first honeymoon. And there is nothing I would rather do than lounge somewhere on a beach with my honey for a week.
Your turn! Tell me what you would do!

10 Kids Who Want To Play:

Katie said...

I don't really know what I'd pick.
I guess a newer car. Although my current one s perfect really it's just getting old. I'd probably invest in some really nice furniture, the sort to last a lifetime as I have none at the moment as I live in furnished rented houses.

bon said...

The only debt that we have right now is the house soooooo... Finish the basement completely, and in the style I would like: approx seven thou of work is left. Hire a lawn fix-it company for the summer: about one thou. Patio furniture and pergola for back yard: three thou. BIG vacation for Dadguy and self: Three thou. Sell Corolla and get small used pick-up: six thou.

Heh, doesn't go as far as ya MIGHT think!

FosterAbba said...

If someone handed me $20,000, I'd use $5,000 to pay off my truck, and the remainder to buy a newer RV. Perhaps a secondhand toy hauler, since they are GREAT for dry camping, which I love to do.

K J and the kids said...

Since I can't put it towards paying off my house, I would have to say adding on to it.

We play this game only it's the big lotto baby ! What would you do if you won 8 million. :)
Now that's money to spend.

Azul said...

Hmmm... I'd say a D80 or a Digital Rebel, a quad or 2 (with a trailer), and a small RV just big enough for Q, Chico, and I to spend a weekend in the woods. Oh, and I suppose I'd have to invest the rest in repairing our old pickup, so we'd have something with which to haul the aforementioned RV & quads.

elizasmom said...

I'd trade in my car for a hybrid, and get someone to paint the rooms in the house I haven't gotten to yet. If I had any left I'd commission some bookshelves for the living room. I'm boring, aren't I?

Holly said...

A wheelchair accessible PT cruiser and if I was really lucky and actually got something for my van in exchange a trip....to anywhere warm and in view of the ocean.

Amber said...

I'd go on a fabulous trip with my husband (I'm thinking some time in the Caribbean).

I would like a new couch for downstairs and a deep freezer. A great playhouse for the kids in our new backyard...

I've got a list of stuff like that- nothing 'huge' but all 'big'.

Mongoose said...

I'd take the $10,000 debt allowance. My total debt right now is about $14,000 with no fixed terms so that would help for sure. Then I'd put $4,800 in my Back to School Fund and that's all I need there.

Then I'd spend $1,000 for the body work on my car, $400 on a new camera, $280 on a new iPod, $320 for some bras, two sweaters and three pairs of pants that fit, $280 for a bike and accessories, $1,000 for all new camping gear, and $25 for a good meal at my favourite restaurant. And $165.25 sales tax on all the above. I don't really have any plans for the remaining $1,729.75 but I have some good ideas for tattoos right now so probably some would go to tattoos, and the rest, well, I guess I could buy a GIC.

Jillybean said...

I would have a deck built in our back yard and some really nice outdoor furniture to go with it.