Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bad Mommy

After reading The Naked Ovary this morning, I thought I would post my worst Mommy moment ever.
In a galaxy far, far away and a long time ago.... oh alright, it was here in Utah and two years ago.
Little Man had to have surgery and developed a HORRIBLE, life threatening infection afterwards. So bad he had to have a PICC line placed for long term antibotic use. A PICC line has a port sewn to your arm, (like the end of an IV) and then the line is threaded through your veins until the tip is placed a large vein, near your heart. This enables the use of IV antibotics that would erode right through a smaller vein. As you can imagine, it is a HUGE pain in the butt to take care of, sterile precautions, a pump, tons of supplies...


Here is a pic of Little Man and his pump and line.

He had to wear that back pack every single waking hour of the day.

This also means a caretaker who is on top of things.
Letting his line run dry can mean the end of the PICC line.
One day, I dropped by the hospital on my way home from school to see a classmate who was very ill there. Well, being me, I lost track of the time, plus cell phones were not allowed, so I had left my cell phone in the car. Even though I wasn't paying attention to the time very well, I wasn't too worried, because I had at least two hours until I needed to change the Little Man's meds and stuff.
WRONG! When I got out to the car, there were like a million messages from my long suffering hubby who said Little Man's pump had been beeping that it was running dry for over an hour and where the heck was I anyway??
To his credit, my hubby did not divorce me or even yell at me. I was panicked! Thank goodness his line was still open and we were okay, but it easily could have been another surgery to place a new line. I was a BAD MOMMY! How about you? Any bad parent moments to share?

0 Kids Who Want To Play: